Day 21: the Grapes of wrap
September 23, 2010, 12:36 am
Filed under: Drawings | Tags: ,

My favourite imaginary fruit would be a giant grape the size of a cantaloupe melon. I can imagine it heavy in my hand and I would have a slice with cheese. Grapes are little juicy jewels to me and I wanted to treat them as something deserving of special attention.

Grapes wrapped dominic wilcox

Here I wrapped them in thread. It’s quite a difficult procedure, the unwrapping of the grape will be far quicker depending on your prefered technique.

Grapes wrapped dominic wilcox

Here I thought about packaging them in a layer of wax so that the ceremony of eating each grape gained an even higher level of appreciation.
I used thread around the grape so that it could be used to aid the pealing of the wax which would cover it.

‘The dipping of the grape’ in the wax.

The grape is unveiled by pulling the thread and peeling back the wax shell. The ‘Eating of the Grape’ commences. I think I have been subconsciously influenced by the work of Deirdre Nelson.

This is part of a 30 day Speed Creating project I am doing. Outcomes were exhibited at the Anti – Design Festival between 18th-21st September, Mestakes and manifestos, Londonewcastle gallery, 28 Redchurch St, London. You can follow my progress on Twitter and Facebook, Click here to view all the days so far in a row.

<< Project index

Haha you are mental!

In a good way

Comment by enemyofchaos

beautiful!

Comment by Layla

I would be honored to eat these grapes.

Comment by renee

After seeing this, I really want to embroider a chicken before roasting it. What wine goes with a chain stitch?

Comment by Rich

embroidering a live chicken will be a test of your technique

Dear Dominic: I admire your cool-genuine-insolit work.

In order to enjoy your loved grapes in another way, you can adopt “the spanish New Year’s Eve celebration”: at 00’00 hour o’clock, with every bell sound, we eat one grape (one for every twelve next months). It’s a familiar tradition to get good luck along the New Year.

I hope you’ll try, love it and become “Spanish” a little.

Thanks for share your wonderful ideas!

Valkiria 🙂