Fingerprint activated, no waiting, pedestrian crossing
September 24, 2013, 9:33 am
Filed under: Drawings | Tags: , , , ,

I read an article recently on the BBC about whether or not pressing the pedestrian crossing button actually does anything. It turns out that quite a few do nothing at all to effect the time it takes for the green man to show. Sometimes the wait can be up to two minutes, think of all the things we could have done in all those minutes spent waiting to cross.

With the arrival of the iPhone 5s and it’s fingerprint reader button on my mind, I waited to cross the road a few weeks ago. A thought occurred to me as I pressed the pedestrian crossing button. What if I could pay money to speed up or remove the waiting time altogether? In fact if the button was also a fingerprint reader then it could be linked to an online account that is set up as Pay-as-you-press. Each press instantly (or as quickly as is safe) changes the red man to green and £0.40 is deducted from my account. For £0.70 you can also choose your own tune to cross the road to.

I went out on to the streets of London to test the system, listen here to find out how it went…

Fingerprint activated instant pedestrian crossing

The Quick Cross fingerprint reader pedestrian crossing button.

fingerprint pedestrian crossing

Here I designed an app for signing up to the Quick Cross system.
Quick cross road pedestrian crossing
crossroad1

BBC article about pedestrian crossing.

UPDATE: the BBC picked up on this post, at the bottom of this page… http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-24291571

About these ads

LOL that a great idea, I like it, sure BORIS would push for it!

Comment by Peter Haken

Boris is the first name that came to my mind too. But how long before drivers come up with a QuickCross zapper to ensure they don’t get caught by it.
Oh no! I forsee an arms race-style escalation of pedestrian v motorist devices. And that’s not even talking about the cyclists.

Comment by blackwatertown

Yes as @wesayso has suggested on twitter, cars could pay extra to override the red change.

Yes Boris is on my £3 a minute phone line now.

perhaps Boris bikes could activate for free!

Comment by Cotswold Designs

[…] “If the button was also a fingerprint reader then it could be linked to an online account that is set up as pay-as-you-press. Each press instantly (or as quickly as is safe) changes the red man to green and £0.40 is deducted from my account. For £0.70 you can also choose your own tune to cross the road to,” Wilcox writes on his Variations on Normal blog. […]

Pingback by The Loop: Happy campers | Pacific Piano Performance Posts

I love this stuff. But heads up, I think youre BBC link is broken.

Comment by Julius Walther

It works ok I think, it is mentioned at the bottom of the page. Thank Dominic