Day 6: Bread Lampshade
September 7, 2010, 12:21 pm
Filed under: Drawings

Continuing from Day 5’s lightbulb in bread dough experiment I decided to make some lampshades from bread. This time I used used bread flour with no yeast to keep the bread thin, hoping this would increase translucency. First I rolled some bread dough over a metal semi sphere.

After it came out of the oven and I tested it against a lightbulb I decided that it was a little too thick to let enough light through so I decided to drill holes through it.

Bread Lampshade

Bread Lampshade

Bread Lampshade

I then rolled out a large circular shape of dough and draped it over a large glass and put it in the oven.

I dry the bread out until it is hard. I will probably need to seal the bread with varnish to keep it from going mouldy. I think I need to spend more time perfecting the process but it would be great to fill a big room with bread lights.

This is part of a 30 day Speed Creating project I am doing. Final outcomes will be exhibited at the Anti – Design Festival 18th-22nd September, Mestakes and Manifestos, 28 Redchurch St, London. You can follow my progress on Twitter and Facebook, Click here to view all the days so far in a row.

<< Project index

These are brilliant – what a great idea. :-)

Comment by Nina

Thanks nina

AWESOME! I love playing around with light and these are ingenious as well as look such fun to make – might even try it myself! Could be great as a primary school activity don’t you think? Would love to know how long they’d last as well :]

Comment by Sophie

French bread light saber!

Comment by Gary Barwin

[...] This is brilliant. You can even eat it warm if you run out of food and feel ravenous in the night. [...]

Pingback by Baking Your Own Lamp

Brilliant and funny. Strangely I find most of your creations cute in a way. Kinda brings out my creative inner child. Continue your work, it’s fresh and joyful.

Comment by Laurent

This stuff is great! Have been doing my own experiments in the last few months so this is inspirational and glad Iv found it! Currently making a lamp shade from plastic milk bottles which is taking an age! Donno how you turn it around in a day!Wow.

Comment by Tyrone Probert

“it would be great to fill a big room with bread lights.” – That has to be the best thing I have ever read!

Love your ideas mate.

Comment by andy

This is soooo cool!!! your Mum must be really proud of you…you re lovely.

Comment by Diana

Hi,
Ya it’s superb…
Try adding ‘furniture glue’ when bounding a dough and don’t forget to add ‘Boric acid powder’. It works as a preservative. It will prevent ur lamp from fungus. After all it’s a food product.

Comment by Rucha

Fantastic Dominic. Love you work and voted for this site on Weebly. So far removed from all the banal sites I see everyday. Great stuff. XEM

Comment by eva-marie

This is wonderful! I am having a small DIY wedding and I think I just found a great romantic lighting solution!

Comment by CupcakeDreamMachine