Paint Brush Coat Hooks
August 30, 2011, 5:27 pm
Filed under: design | Tags: ,

KKoutlet recently approached me to take part in their exhibition ‘Object Abuse’. The challenge was to ‘take an everyday object, remould, rebuild and repurpose it to create an entirely new item, using as little additional materials as possible.’

One day I was walking through an art shop and looked at the brushes. They seemed pleasant objects so I decided to come up with something using one of them. I remembered how I used to forget to wash paint brushes after using them and then would find them hard and unusable the next day. After quite a few trials and mistakes I managed to make something useful, a coat hook. Handily there is a hole at the top of the handle for the screw.

OBJECT ABUSE, PRIVATE VIEW THURSDAY 1 SEPTEMBER 7 – 9PM. EXHIBITION RUNS 2 – 25 SEPTEMBER
KK OUTLET, 42 HOXTON SQUARE, LONDON, N1 6PB
Exhibition PDF info
For hi res images email

great! welcome back, i missed you.

Comment by anonymous

These are awesome!

Comment by E. R. Stanton

wonderful as usual !

Comment by deirdre

I Love It . I hope you don’t mind if I use your idea .

Comment by xluckylee

can these be purchased?!?!?! best! evan@ipaintmymind.org / http://IPAINTMYMIND.ORG

Comment by ipaintmymind

Great stuff – return to form – I’m posting on this back at my place.

Comment by blackwatertown

You mean I went off form? ;)

See what you mean – I should have said, a terrific return to posting – cos you went a bit quiet. (My record in nicking your ideas for my blog probably says more that any overt crawling.)
But anyway – I’m getting terrible grief for this one over at http://blackwatertown.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/instead-of-washing-that-paintbrush-do-this-instead/

Comment by blackwatertown

Beautiful, whimsical, functional… Brilliant as always, Dominic!

Tim Hamby

Comment by Tim Hamby

:O
i want onee ! C:

Comment by Nina

Human creativity will never seize to impress me. I’m sure i’m correct in saying that the world wants to see more from you, Dominic.

Comment by T. E. Samad

sisters birthday oct 11th and she would LOVE these! will they be available in your shop before then?

Comment by joeyizzy

Very cool and nice idea.. by thinking like you. I don’t need to buy coat hook because they are available in paint brushes

Comment by paint brushes

Great idea.

Comment by Susan Price

these are great any tips to try them ourselves?

Comment by dave

Good idea. If I ever am unable to rescue any of my paintbrushes from the scourge of dried paint, I guess I can still put them to good use.

Comment by duckofindeed

I believe what you composed made a lot of sense. However, what about this?
suppose you were to create a awesome title? I mean, I don’t want to tell you how to run your website, but suppose you added something that makes people desire more? I mean Paint Brush Coat Hooks Variations on normal by Dominic Wilcox is kinda plain. You ought to glance at Yahoo’s front page and watch how they create article headlines to get people to open the links.
You might add a video or a picture or two to get people interested about everything’ve written. Just my opinion, it would bring your posts a little bit more interesting.

Comment by Faye

Hello! thanks for your thoughts, ‘Amazing coat hooks like you’ve never seen before!’ may be something other people could say about them on their blog but coming from the person who made them would seem a little show offy. I tend to present things in my own quiet way and let other websites that feature them shout about it in their way if they wish. It seems to work ok.

Really cool coat hooks – for some reason they make me think of a Dulux TV advertisement. I wouldn’t mind trying to make some of these myself, although I’m sure which glue would be best. You would need to choose the glue carefully to ensure it doesn’t damage your clothing, etc.

Comment by school coat hooks